Sunday, July 21, 2013

Finally here

Mingalabar, Myanmar.

After 40 long hours of being incarcerated in a freezing rocket shooting though the sky, I arrived in the place I've been longing for since I left six months ago.

At the airport, I was greeted by Shin Oo Lwin, the assistant to the tour guide my family hired last winter.


 As soon as my head hit the pillow in Yangon it seemed I was jumping up for my third plane ride to the long awaited Bagan region in the north where I will spend the next month teaching. Unfortunately working in Myanmr is illegal for foreigners, so this will be a covert mission. I will be volunteering at the Zaytawun School for the needy. Contrasting with the US, the government schools in Myanmr are very expensive and the independent schools are usually charitable. 

I hope to really live in Bagan this time. For the next month, I won't be incarcerated by the upper-class American bubble. I no longer have the security of my parents' wallets, nor their comforting embraces. 

I'm thrilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment