Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I'm back in my lonely childhood house, dreaming of a cane ball flying across pavement. I'm bathing in the laughter of brothers and sisters. My stomach is filled with curry and chickpeas. My camera's memory card is maxed with peace signs and toothy grins.

This dream is a serene alternative to the daunting college essay that now burns under my finger tips. Demanding me to explain the heart of my existence (in 650 words or less). Burma.

The life lived. The love found. The family left.
The place where opportunities are endless, where opportunities are gifts. 
This past month, after playing too much soccer, laughing too hard, and not crying enough... I was adopted. I learned more from that family than any textbook.

Kate McDonough
University of Virginia (UVA '18)



No comments:

Post a Comment